I am hoping to adopt a husband! Please feel free to browse this blog to get a better idea of who I am. I am committed to a strong, open relationship with my future husband's family. If you have any questions e-mail me at jilleb163 AT gmail DOT com. Please pass along my information to any men you may know who are considering marriage.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

What I'm Looking For

It's never good to have a list - that's something I've been told more than once and with great vehemence. If you've got a list, you could miss out on an amazing man, just because he isn't what you thought you were looking for.

I get that, I really do. But I also know this: marriage is hard enough as it is. You've got to know what your deal-breakers are so you don't end up in a relationship that's harder than it needs to be. And you have to have standards! I've learned that the hard way.

Here's the important stuff - things I think of when I imagine the man I will someday marry:
First and foremost, he will have a strong testimony of the gospel, especially the Atonement. He'll have to understand and appreciate that I am the person I am because of what I've done and been through.

He'll have a current temple recommend and honor his priesthood. He'll be dependable and mature but have a good sense of humor. He'll treat his mother with love and respect. He'll want children, and he'll be willing to make Roo and her family a part of our lives.

Finally, he'll accept that this is the body I've got, and this is what it's supposed to look like. I've had these hips since I was eleven years old. They're not going to get any smaller. Even at my thinnest, I had ... I believe the vernacular is a "ghetto booty." I'm okay with that. He will be too.

The less important things - a few ideas I've had floating around in my head:

I'd like him to be a few years older than me (but no more than 6 or 7 years older). I like a man who can tell a good story. And I can't imagine liking a man who doesn't like baseball. And while I'm not looking for a guy who's made horrible life choices, I think that life experience is important. It teaches patience and maturity.

I prefer an interesting face to one that is classically handsome.

My husband will love Roo. That's a deal-breaker. If he doesn't dig the level of openness in Roo's adoption, he's gone.

1 comment:

  1. Lest you forget the most important item: He must be a Dodger fan or he must NOT be a Yankees fan. There can be no misunderstanding on this important issue. Dad would roll-over in his grave if found out you married a Yankees fan. :)

    ReplyDelete